The Benelux Office for Intellectual Property (BOIP) is part of the Benelux Organisation for Intellectual Property. The Organisation has been assigned the following tasks and duties:
- to execute the Benelux Convention on Intellectual Property (BCIP) and the Implementing Regulations;
- to promote the protection of trademarks and designs in the Benelux countries;
- to carry out additional tasks in other fields of intellectual property law, as directed by the Executive Board;
- continual evaluation and, if necessary, amendment of the Benelux legislation on trademarks and designs, in the light of international, Community and other developments.
Our employees are proud of their work and passionate about their area of expertise: Intellectual Property. Accordingly, we help entrepreneurs find out the possibilities to protect a trademark, design or idea. The fact that BOIP is an independent organization means we cannot give personal advice. But what we can, and are keen to do, is to make entrepreneurs aware of the ways of the world of intellectual property: knowledgeable and accessible, active and direct. We know exactly what we are talking about. Conversely, we are also interested to find out what matters to you. So that we can provide you with the best possible service.
Our Director's Committee currently consists of three members:
- Ragnar Gustafsson - Director General: has final responsibility for the organisation as a whole and for the performance of BOIP's statutory duties. Represents the Benelux Organisation. Responsible for General Affairs: the BOIP's organisational activities within the IT, Finances, Human Resources and Corporate Communication departments.
- Hugues Derème - Deputy Director General: responsible for BOIP's operational activities within the Registration, Legal Affairs and Information & Promotion departments. Also responsible for international cooperation with partner organisations.
- Yves Hoffmann - Deputy Director General: responsible for BOIP's Marketing, Communications and Customer Services.
Aside from the Directors' Committee, the BOIP Management Team is comprised of the members shown below.
Trademark registration in the Caribbean Netherlands
As instructed by the National Office for the Caribbean Netherlands BOIP also implements the Trademark Act BES (WMB) in the three special-status Dutch municipalities Bonaire, Sint-Eustatius and Saba. On the website www.caribIE.nl you will find information about trademark registration and maintenance in the Caribbean Netherlands.
Trademark registration Sint Maarten
In addition, BOIP, in cooperation with the Sint Maarten Bureau for Intellectual Property (BIP SXM) arranges trademark registration for Sint Maarten. BIP SXM is the official body for the execution of the "Merkenverordening" and the promotion of other IP rights, such as patents and copyright. Mrs. V. Rosen-Sandiford is the Bureau's Director. BIP SXM works closely with BOIP, which has provided Sint Maarten with an online trademark registration system (to be consulted via www.bip.sx). This system ensures a smooth, fast and transparent trademark registration procedure in Sint Maarten.