The Benelux Office for Intellectual Property (BOIP) is part of the Benelux Organisation for Intellectual Property. The Organisation has been assigned the following tasks and duties:
- to execute the Benelux Convention on Intellectual Property (BCIP) and the Implementing Regulations;
- to promote the protection of trademarks and designs in the Benelux countries;
- to carry out additional tasks in other fields of intellectual property law, as directed by the Executive Board;
- continual evaluation and, if necessary, amendment of the Benelux legislation on trademarks and designs, in the light of international, Community and other developments.
The Directors' Committee is comprised of:
- the Director General: has final responsibility for the organisation as a whole and for the performance of BOIP's statutory duties. Represents the Benelux Organisation.
- the Deputy Director Registration & Legal Affairs: responsible for BOIP's operational activities within the Registration, Legal Affairs and Information & Promotion departments. Also responsible for international collaboration with partner organisations.
- the Deputy Director General Affairs: responsible for BOIP's organisational activities within the IT, Finances, Human Resources and Corporate Communication departments.
Trademark registration in the Caribbean Netherlands
As instructed by the National Office for the Caribbean Netherlands BOIP also implements the Trademark Act BES (WMB) in the three special-status Dutch municipalities Bonaire, Sint-Eustatius and Saba. On the website www.caribIE.nl you will find information about trademark registration and maintenance in the Caribbean Netherlands.
Trademark registration Sint Maarten
In addition, BOIP, in cooperation with the Sint Maarten Bureau for Intellectual Property (BIP SXM) arranges trademark registration for Sint Maarten. BIP SXM is the official body for the execution of the "Merkenverordening" and the promotion of other IP rights, such as patents and copyright. Mrs. V. Rosen-Sandiford is the Bureau's Director. BIP SXM works closely with BOIP, which has provided Sint Maarten with an online trademark registration system (to be consulted via www.bip.sx). This system ensures a smooth, fast and transparent trademark registration procedure in Sint Maarten.