The Benelux Office for Intellectual Property (BOIP) is part of the Benelux Organisation for Intellectual Property. The Organisation has been assigned the following remits:
- to implement the Benelux Convention on Intellectual Property (BCIP) and the Implementing Regulations (IR);
- to promote the protection of trademarks and designs in the Benelux countries;
- to perform additional tasks in other fields of intellectual property law, as directed by the Executive Board;
- continual evaluation and, if necessary, amendment of Benelux legislation governing trademarks and designs, in the light of international, Community and other developments.
Our Director's Committee currently consists of two members:
- Ragnar Gustafsson - Director General: has final responsibility for the organisation as a whole and for the performance of BOIP's statutory duties. Represents the Benelux Organisation. Responsible for General Affairs: the BOIP's organisational activities within the IT, Finances, Human Resources and Corporate Communication departments.
Hugues Derème - Deputy Director Registration & Legal Affairs: responsible for BOIP's operational activities within the Registration, Legal Affairs and Information & Promotion departments. Also responsible for international cooperation with partner organisations.
Trademark registration in the Caribbean Netherlands
As instructed by the National Office for the Caribbean Netherlands BOIP also implements the Trademark Act (BES Islands) (WMB) in the three special Dutch municipalities Bonaire, Sint-Eustatius and Saba. On the website www.caribIE.nl you will find information about trademark registration and maintenance in the Caribbean Netherlands.
Trademark registration Sint Maarten
In addition, BOIP, in cooperation with the Sint Maarten Bureau for Intellectual Property (BIP SXM) handles trademark registration for Sint Maarten. BIP SXM is the official body entrusted with implementation of the "National Ordinance on Trademarks" and the provision on other forms of intellectual property, such as patent law and copyright. Mrs. V. Rosen-Sandiford is the Bureau's Director. BIP SXM works closely with BOIP. The latter has provided Sint Maarten with an online trademark registration system (to be consulted via www.bip.sx). This system ensures a smooth, fast and transparent trademark registration procedure in Sint Maarten.